Slip and Fall Injuries – Tips to Prevent Injuries in Icy Conditions
Maryland weather, though often beautiful, can also be hazardous – especially in the winter. Icy roads and sidewalks can quickly lead to slip and fall accidents and injuries. At Multi-Specialty, our doctors treat slip and fall injuries all the time, and have seen firsthand what can happen in bad weather. With more cold weather coming and groundhogs predicting six more weeks of winter, it’s important to be careful and take extra precaution to avoid injury. Here are a few tips to help you avoid slip and fall injuries.
- Take Shorter Steps: Shorter steps prevent you from moving too quickly, which often causes slips and falls. It also helps you to get better traction and avoid overstepping and losing balance.
- Wear the Right Shoes: Everyone wants to look fashionable, but if conditions are icy make sure you wear shoes that provide some extra traction, and aren’t worn out too badly.
- Keep Your Hands Out of Your Pockets: Your arms actually help you to balance when you’re walking. Under normal conditions, you probably don’t even notice and don’t need them as much. When it’s icy, you’ll need all the help you can get, just in case. Make sure you wear gloves if you need them so you’re not tempted to shove your hands back in your pockets.
- Don’t Carry Heavy Loads: Carrying a heavy or awkward sized load can block your visibility and cause you to shift your body weight. Make multiple trips if you need to or use a bag to carry several items at once.
- Only Walk Where You Can See: Poorly shoveled sidewalks and roadways can impair your vision, making you more likely to trip on something you can’t see. They can also make pathways more slippery, especially with hardened layers of ice.
At Multi-Specialty HealthCare, we hope that you never need treatment for a slip and fall injury. However, accidents can happen. When they do, we are here to help. Our doctors are experts in slip and fall cases, and work closely with attorneys when legal issues are involved to make sure that you get the best medical treatment and the best legal representation possible. If you’re injured in a slip and fall, automobile accident, or on the job, please give us a call at 1-888-334-4199 and talk to us about scheduling an appointment with one of our 25+ offices throughout Maryland. And, if you need help finding an attorney, we can help you find someone to represent you.